Monday, December 13, 2004

Oh, We've Got To Be More Sensible

How is it possible that one of the best moments of my weekend was just sitting on the cold floor of a hallway at VCC? I think it's because everything this weekend was go go go.....and that was the only point where I could just stand still.
The callback went pretty well. Jeff and David and I got there a little late. So we walk into the room and Ann Hering is in the middle of a speech to, like, 30 people or so (a lot of them faces I was so glad to see: Marcie, Kris, Tyler....hell, even Kurt and Zinia, even though I don't know them very well, they've always been cool to me)......and I'm in my yoga clothes. I wanted so bad to have a chance to do my monologue one more time before having to do it for real.....but no dice. There were two people that needed to sing and then it was my turn. Thank God everyone else was banished to the hallway. So, the two people introduce their songs, sing, sit down. Then Ann says, 'Okay, Josh.' And I stand up, take off my shoes and socks...unroll my yoga mat, stand on it....ask, 'Do you need to know what this is from?'.....Ann just says, 'No, but I am fascinated, go on.' And I launch into the monologue --- but my last thought before I begin is "Wow she has such a poker face I could never tell if she like people's songs or what and even when she wrote little notes down it was so casual and how awful is it going to be if nobody laughs if she doesn't laugh cause if I finish this monologue and nobody laughs I'm going to have to roll this stupid yoga mat up in defeat and it's probably going to feel like it'll take ten years to do it and then I'll have to put on my shoes and oh man this could be a huge mistake --- and then I start the monologue.
And she laughed (almost a guffaw). And some of the other people laugh. And that sound has and always will be the balm of Gilead to me and then I'm done. I tell her what the monologue is from (Christopher Durang's Laughing Wild). And I go out into the hallway. Minutes later, Dana (stage manager - she was the stage manager for Rocky too) comes out and tells me that they won't need anything else from me tonight. But I rode with Jeff so I was kind of stuck - so I just sat down and talked with Marcie and Kris and David and Tyler and Jeff -- the callback for them lasted fucking forever. Finally, I gave Sarah a call and she came and picked me up and we went to Natalie's party (Jeff and David right on our heels - they had just been released).

Great fun at Natalie's. Of course her and Eric and Kim and Steve had all went to see 1940s earlier in the day. It was an interesting mix of Rocky people and 1940s people, very laid back, and Natalie (because she rules the planet) had a big tray of sushi. So, it was a nice closer on a hectic (and at times high voltage) weekend.

No comments: