Sunday, March 27, 2005

Desire To Perform A Cannonball Into A Swimming Pool

Today feels like a nice day to go swimming. Easter use to mean going over to my Uncle Lee's and Aunt Donna's house. They lived on a lake. Lake Asbury. And it would be hot. Just starting to get hot. But we were never allowed to go swimming (that was for the 4th Of July celebration at Uncle Lee's) -- cause my Mom would insist that there was "a nip in the air". No swimming until summer proper.

Which suddenly makes me remember some cousins of my Mom's from up North (Chicago?) letting their kids play in the sprinkler in October -- I was so fucking jealous, I wanted in that sprinkler so bad -- Mom was having none of that. "Yankees." That was all she would say, rolling her eyes.

Nip or not, today it would be nice to be floating down a lazy river at Blizzard Beach. That's the only way I can stand this Orlando heat -- if I'm near a body of cool, chlorine-rich, water....

God, I miss the above ground pool I grew up with...in a strange way I even miss the ritual of cleaning it before every summer (it would have cost too much to keep buying chlorine over the winter months, so we would just let it get gross once summer was over). The three or four days it would take for the garden hose to fill it up....that first cannonball. Marco Polo. Sharks and Minnows. Making waves. Making a current by going in a circle for an hour.

That was fun. We were lucky.



No comments: